Saturday, 17 January 2009
Bill Faith - "Aim High" My Friend
Contributed by The Gray Dog

*** Update Sunday January 18, 2009 ***

I should have added this link to Michelle Malkin's article.

Also to Uncle Jimbo's post at BlackFive.

Here are a whole bunch more:

The Rude News

Illusion or reality

WizBang

Another Voice

Confedrate Yankee

The Radio Patriot

Brutally Honest

Bookworm Room

Also, Bill's sister has requested donations be made to Soldier's Angels in lieu of flowers.

Finally, I am unable to approve any comments left for Bill at other posts.  Some of you already have posted elsewhere.  If you wish to leave a comment for Bill please do so at this article, for which I am able to approve comments for.  Thank You.

**********************************************

It is with a saddened heart that I just heard from another Old War Dog, Zero Ponsdorf, that Michelle Malkin reported the death of Old War Dog founder and webmaster Bill Faith.  I missed a couple of opportunities this year as I traveled through Southern Illinois, to stop and meet Bill in person.  This is a mistake I will regret for the rest of my life.

Through an electronic introduction from another Old War Dog, Jim Bartimus, I was introduced to Bill in July of 2005.  It was then that Bill extended the invitation to join the Old War Dogs Blog, and it was the first type of anything in my adult lifetime I had ever joined.

Bill could be cantankerous at times, often causing a bit of dissent among the ranks.  But, I know that Bill’s life centered around two things: Old War Dogs and his Grandson.  His Blogging and love of America, I can speak to.  His abundant love for his daughter and grandson I will leave for others.

Many years later, Bill and I discovered that I had preceded him into the Air Force by a mere week back in the summer of 1970, and that most of our time at Lackland AFB and afterward at Sheppard AFB, had overlapped.  That’s where the similarity ended.  Bill went on to serve in Vietnam, while I defended America from the frozen moonscapes of Alaska.  I think it was our same age, military branch, and the fact that we were both Illinoisans, that caused Bill to always favor my writing and give it a little boost in the Blog position each day.  In fact I was often embarrassed by the favoritism.

Others, such as Russ Vaughn, JD Pendry, George “Rurik” Mellinger, William “1st Cav” Page and Zero Ponsdorf knew Bill longer and perhaps better than I, although most of us have been strangers to Old War Dogs for a couple of years now.

A couple of years ago, Bill had entrusted the “keys” to the Old War Dogs Site with me and Russ Vaughn.  I haven’t been in contact with Russ for some time, and I’m not sure how to proceed.  Old War Dogs and Small Town Veteran were 100% Bill Faith.  There is a part of me that says we should keep OWD going as a tribute to Bill, yet another that says it would only be a cheap imitation.  As mentioned before, Russ and JD and perhaps a few others will have more to say on the topic.

In closing, I simply want to say that Bill was a patriot, a loving father and grandfather, and a clear voice for veteran’s causes throughout the blogosphere.  And for me personally, he was a friend and fellow Old War Dog.  I will miss him.

Mike Connelly
The Gray Dog

Contributed by The Gray Dog on January 17, 2009 at 07:12 PM in Best of Old War Dogs, Bill Faith, Current Affairs, Patriotism, The Gray Dog, US Air Force | Permalink

Comments

Posted by: Guy S

I haven't been over here in quite some time, and that is my loss. The few times I was in contact (via comments and email) with Bill, he was always the gentleman.

Fair Winds and Following Seas to your final duty station. And rest easy, the good fight will be fought down here as best we can. May his family and friends find the balms of fond memories and prayer ease their pain at this time. Please accept my sincerest condolences.

Posted by: Guy S | Jan 17, 2009 10:44:09 PM

Posted by: Michael

Bill was a patriot and an America. I will miss his witt and love.

Posted by: Michael | Jan 17, 2009 11:41:21 PM

Posted by: Old Trooper

RIP Bill. My heartfelt condolences to Bill's Family
I have nothing to add beyond that.
I would encourage Russ & JD to keep the site up
as it is a refreshing part of my day in these times
where very few things in general are all that keen.

America has a rocky path ahead and it looks to be all uphill.
I always considered this site to be a rally point for Patriots.
Old grunts tend to think in those simple terms.

Take Care All.

Posted by: Old Trooper | Jan 18, 2009 5:44:13 AM

Posted by: SSNarwhar

I've dropped in on "Old War Dogs" a few times and am saddened by the new of our loss of Bill Faith.
I've walked along that stunning memorial in Washingtion, DC to realize that those old guys with vertern's hats, beards, patches, as well as the clean shaven and well dressed ones, who touched that reflecting stone and cried, where perhaps not always the nicest guys in town, but they were the most faithful. We die a little as a nation which each of their passing. I dearly hope the next generation have some of their character. RIP Bill. You finished the course. You did well. I pray you hear those words. SSNarwhal

Posted by: SSNarwhar | Jan 18, 2009 9:02:17 AM

Posted by: Holger Awakens

The Gray Dog,

Thanks so much for putting this up. Bill was such a champion for Veterans and for this beloved country of ours. I got the wonderful chance to meet Bill last summer and enjoy his company and that of his family in Illinois and I can vouch for the fact that what we all see in Bill's words here were indeed the heart and soul of the man.

I miss him already. I know that Heaven is a better place now with him tinkering away up there, making things even better for us that will follow.

Godspeed Bill. Thank you for loving America.

Posted by: Holger Awakens | Jan 18, 2009 11:17:19 AM

Posted by: AFSister

I was really hoping that the rumor I heard about Bill's passing was just a rumor, but I read it at Blackfive today, and now here. This is so sad. I loved Bill's writing, and will miss it. He went to the grave with a loving and beautiful family, and a world full of friends- many of which never got to actually meet him. How very sad.

Posted by: AFSister | Jan 18, 2009 4:19:20 PM

Posted by: William Page

A Tribute To Bill Faith of 'Small Town Veteran' & 'Old War Dogs'

I already miss Bill Faith. Bill did so much for our troops, their families and veterans in general. Guess I just took him for granted sometimes. He seemed to always be there and on top of everything. There are so many good things to remember about Bill. Where to start? Bill and I go back a way to about early 2004. While searching online for others of like mind who had had enough of the treasonous antiwar crowd I came upon his website, Small Town Veteran. To me Small Town Veteran was an island of sanity in a world gone mad. Bill was extremely patriotic, a Vietnam veteran, and just a fine red-blooded American with a God given talent of expressing so many of my own feelings in ways that should be told. At that time I was merely a novice and hardly even knew what a blog was. To me Bill was my mentor in all things computer and internet. Being a prolific online news reader, I started feeding Bill some articles that I considered of mutual interest. He began posting links and comments of some and gave me a 'Hat Tip' many times. What an ego build that was for me. Thanks to Bill I now had somewhat of a soapbox.

About that same time Bill was one of those who introduced me to the Swift Boat Vets For Truth. As history will note, Bill and I weren't the only ones who had had enough of the BS from John Fn Kerry and his followers. Thanks Bill. We all had a big part in defeating that traitor and I still take so much pride in that.

It didn't take long to know that I wasn't the only citizen or veteran to take notice of Bill Faith's talent and patriotic fervor. Many others had already discovered him and many more were yet to come. A bit later Bill had the unselfish idea to give others a spot to write on a new blog he envisioned, Old War Dogs. Well I was floored, honored and a bit intimidated as my writing skills were lacking from many years of neglect. It had been years since I had even attempted anything but a few letters and business proposals. Yet Bill coaxed me along and encouraged me to write more. Writing that I now regret I didn't follow up on as much as I should have. Bill, I owe you and a few other Old War Dogs big time.

Well Old War Dogs took off and flourished thanks to all the talent Bill pulled together. Over time there were a few disagreements as with any bunch of grumpy old men and one of the fairer sex. But those diagreements were small and petty compared to bonds that brought us all together. By the way, Bill and I discovered that we were very near to each other in Vietnam during the 1972 'Easter Offensive' in the Kontum area. There were not many Americans involved at that late stage of the war. We always emailed each other about things involving those days.

Bill accomplished so much in the short time I've known him. To me however, there is one thing that I consider to be one of his finest heartfelt accomplishments. Bill was very instrumental in getting the 'Heroes Act' passed through Congress and signed into law. Bill certainly deserves to be remembered for his tireless efforts to see that any of our fallen heroes' famlies were taken care of in a decent way. Until Bill took the issue on our fallen troops next of kin were only receiving $12 - 15K in compensation. That was a total disgrace for our troops and famlies who gave their life for us. A despondent wife and kids certainly couldn't live on such meager compensation. It was tragic in more ways than one for a family who lost their loved one. Bill started the whole quest to rectify this with his initial post titled 'Caring For Those Left Behind"
(http://smalltownveteran.typepad.com/posts/2005/01/a_chronological.html ). Were it not for him pushing and cajoling other bloggers, lawmakers, and indivduals, it would never have passed. Thank you again Bill.

Of course Bill has always supported all the other troop friendly organizations. I could go on and on about Bill's many accomplishmnts, however to me, it's important what Bill thinks about me. Bill, I hope your reading this and laughing. I finally have written something more than a couple of paragraphs. And if you aren't listening, then I guess I'll just have to ditty bop on over and tell you when my time comes too.

For Bill's family my heartfelt sympathies are with you. Bill will always be respected and fondly remembered by me.

See you later Bill,

William Page
www.oldwardogs.us/

ps One of Bill's favorite charities is Soldiers Angels. As his family has requested, please consider making a donation in rememberance of Bill there. http://soldiersangels.org/heroes/index.php

Posted by: William Page | Jan 18, 2009 9:49:36 PM

Posted by: Rurik

I first became acquainted with Bill during the Kerry war. Our friendship tightened around the issues of troop support and respect for veterans. Bill first took something I had written and posted it at Small Town Veteran. Then he offred me posoting privileges at his site. When Bill founded Old War Dogs, he invited me to join as one fo the original members of the pack. He did me the great honor of entrusting me with the passkeys to the back room, against such an eventuality as now. He did me greater honor by encouragng my quarrelsome writing. Both of us being strong-willed and firm in our convictions, we had occasional differences, but they were always about tactics and never principles,and we remained friends, even after I moved on. More than a friend, actually. To me Bill Faith was a modern, a cyber Promethius. I think he may have been such a guide for many of us.
Bill would be pleased, immensely pleased that his passing was deemed significant enough to lead the day's posts with Michelle Malkin. As I contemplate what is to come so soon, I can only reflect that Bill would be both happy to miss the coming trials, but also sad to be not here for the imminant battles. I, too, will be sad that he will not be at our side for the coming struggle. Or maybe, on another level, Bill will be at our side...until we go to join him. So long Bill, I'll see you later.

Posted by: Rurik | Jan 18, 2009 9:56:45 PM

Posted by: Bobbie Craig

We will all miss Bill. His help and encouragement, his dedication, and all those other things we think of and grin will go with us forever.

Thank you, Bill. Save a seat for me...

Posted by: Bobbie Craig | Jan 19, 2009 12:00:43 AM

Posted by: 1stCavRVN

A Tribute To Bill Faith
of 'Small Town Veteran' & 'Old War Dogs'

Well Old War Dogs took off and flourished thanks to all the talent Bill pulled together. Over time there were a few disagreements as with any bunch of grumpy old men and one of the fairer sex. But those disagreements were small and petty compared to bonds that brought us all together. By the way, Bill and I discovered that we were very near to each other in Vietnam during the 1972 'Easter Offensive' in the Kontum area. There were not many Americans involved at that late stage of the war. We always emailed each other about things involving those days.

Bill accomplished so much in the short time I've known him. To me however, there is one thing that I consider to be one of his finest heartfelt accomplishments. Bill was very instrumental in getting the 'Heroes Act' passed through Congress and signed into law. Bill certainly deserves to be remembered for his tireless efforts to see that any of our fallen heroes' families were taken care of in a decent way. Until Bill took the issue on our fallen troops next of kin were only receiving $12 - 15K in compensation. That was a total disgrace for our troops and families who gave their life for us. A despondent wife and kids certainly couldn't live on such meager compensation. It was tragic in more ways than one for a family who lost their loved one. Bill started the whole quest to rectify this with his initial post titled 'Caring For Those Left Behind"
(http://smalltownveteran.typepad.com/posts/2005/01/a_chronological.html ). Were it not for him pushing and cajoling other bloggers, lawmakers, and individuals, it would never have passed. Thank you again Bill.

Of course Bill has always supported all the other troop friendly organizations. I could go on and on about Bill's many accomplishments, however to me, it's important what Bill thinks about me. Bill, I hope your reading this and laughing. I finally have written something more than a couple of paragraphs. And if you aren't listening, then I guess I'll just have to ditty bop on over and tell you when my time comes too.

See you later Bill,

William Page
www.oldwardogs.us/

ps One of Bill's favorite charities is Soldiers Angels. As his family has requested, please consider making a donation in remembrance of Bill there. http://soldiersangels.org/heroes/index.php

Posted by: 1stCavRVN | Jan 19, 2009 12:37:17 AM

Posted by: Glenn Cassel AMH1(AW) USN RET

I will miss his wit, humour and way with the English Language. I tried to make Old War Dogs a daily read and enjoyed his commentary immensely. He will be missed.
So long Shipmate. I hope to meet you when my time comes.

Posted by: Glenn Cassel AMH1(AW) USN RET | Jan 19, 2009 1:36:29 AM

Posted by: JD Pendry

In Flanders Fields

Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, 1872-1918

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies blow
In Flanders fields

You fought the good fight my brother. Forever know peace as you stand tall at the final recall.

Posted by: JD Pendry | Jan 19, 2009 5:08:10 AM

Posted by: Eric-Odessit

I have just read about Bill's passing. What a horrible news! Bill, together with Rurik, inspired me to start writing articles and later start my own blog. I'd like to express my condolences to Bill's family and all the Old War Dogs. He will definitely be missed.
Eric.

Posted by: Eric-Odessit | Jan 19, 2009 4:00:36 PM

Posted by: Marc Boyd

To Bill's family,

I was at Lackland a little earlier than Bill, 1968, and also was in Viet Nam in 1969 and 1970. I was at Da Nang AB RVN. I got acquainted with him through Swift Boats as were many. God rest your soul warrior. And God bless you the family. And the bigger Family of all of us brothers and sisters.

If you can, Keep OWD up, If not I understand. Email is always welcome.

Marc.

Posted by: Marc Boyd | Jan 19, 2009 5:10:53 PM

Posted by: Wild Thing

Oh No, this is such terrible news. I am so sorry to hear about Bill passing away. He was always so kind to me and such a special friend. His family and loved ones will be in my prayers.

Posted by: Wild Thing | Jan 19, 2009 11:21:20 PM