Sunday, 23 July 2006
Semper I
Contributed by Russ Vaughn

[Webmaster's note: I'm using a bogus timestamp to keep this near the top of the site for a while. Newer posts will appear below it. Actually posted 2006.07.18.12:30.]

Semper I
Semper I is an old Marine Corps term applied to those selfish careerists who place their own success ahead of their men and the  wellbeing of  the Corps. Congressman John Murtha is a living example of that disgraceful term.

A bugle blows in Arlington,
Lilting notes fill still sad air,
An eagle's tears a globe fall on,
Trail an anchor with despair,
For a man we'd wish had not to die,
Brave youth among the best,
A Marine, he lived for Semper Fi,
And with Semper Fi he'll rest.

So sadly is the contrast,
Between those who talk and fight;
Fat Pols for whom their war's past,
But now can't see the light,
Accusing brave young fighting men,
Of crimes they can't defend,
Disgraceful fat old congressmen,
Who've lost the will to win.

Yes there we see the difference,
Between those who fight to win,
And a congressman with no sense,
Who's committed grievous sin;
He's turned against his Corps,
And no one knows quite why,
Except he loves himself much more:
Classic case of Semper I.

Semper Fi to all Marines everywhere from an old paratrooper who holds Murtha in as much contempt as you do.

Russ Vaughn
327th Parachute Infantry Regiment
101st Airborne Division
Vietnam 65-66

[Webmaster's note 2006.07.18.23:30:  Murtha portrait added, courtesy of BootMurtha.com. Click it to see their post, where they have a larger version.  Now's a perfect time to visit Irey.com.]

Contributed by Russ Vaughn on July 23, 2006 at 12:30 PM in Best of Old War Dogs, Mad Jack Murtha, Poetry, Russ Vaughn | Permalink

Comments

Posted by: Leo R. Sanchez

Poet Laureate of the Military

Posted by: Leo R. Sanchez | Jul 18, 2006 8:56:14 PM

Posted by: Frankly Opinionated

Put my approval on these words of wit.
nuf sed

Posted by: Frankly Opinionated | Jul 19, 2006 8:03:11 AM

Posted by: Cpl M

OOHRAH! No better truth could have been spoken.

Posted by: Cpl M | Jul 19, 2006 5:41:18 PM

Posted by: Jim Bartimus

I think Russ spoke for all of us with that one. Diana Irey has a lot more dedication to America than he has. Murtha has outlived his usefulness and he no longer apllies to his countries true spirit.

Posted by: Jim Bartimus | Jul 19, 2006 6:04:50 PM

Posted by: LL

Here's my trackback:

My readers are not only brilliant, they are creative and poetic!

Check out this poem by Russ Vaughn titled "Semper I."

That was great work, Russ!!

Posted by: LL | Jul 19, 2006 6:06:08 PM

Posted by: weral

russ vaughn, you are a pussy.

Posted by: weral | Jul 20, 2006 3:38:04 AM

Posted by: David Newton

Nazi Germany began with heros like you guys. We have destroyed Iraq turning it into a hellhole. This country use to stand for something and it is written at the base of Miss Liberty but I suspect you either don't know or are willful stupid on these issues. Pussies are anyone who disagrees with your politics even when your politics is destroying the country you claim to defend. You rightwingers are so fond of lying about you bravery, I doubt you spent time in the military. When I joined I swore to defend the "Consitution" from enemies foreign and domestic not a lying dirt-bag of a president. I have read that "just a piece of paper" and live by those words. If you douche-bags love totalitarian governments so much there are plenty to choose from, so get out. I want to be proud of my country again and you are a shit stain on its' history.

Posted by: David Newton | Jul 20, 2006 9:48:47 AM

Posted by: 1st Cav

Excellent work as always Russ. To wreal & David Newton above commentors; you don't have a clue. And Newton why not tell us your credentials?

Posted by: 1st Cav | Jul 20, 2006 2:01:51 PM

Posted by: don surber

Printed out Semper I. My boss loved it

Posted by: don surber | Jul 20, 2006 5:42:04 PM

Posted by: maye

OORAH AND SEMPFER FI>>> i just wished we could do somthing about this senseless war thats killing our men and women for whatever reason? power? bullshit!!!!! i guess power is more important than life itself huh??? thats to bad.god bless all the families that have lost a loved one in the war but no-one will listen to us little people . i just hope the president can sleep at night. people are starting to wear red on fridays to show america that we the people need to be heard also. red meaning blood shed in iraq so please pass the word.. red on fridays untill the war is over..thank you....

Posted by: maye | Jul 20, 2006 9:07:11 PM

Posted by: Doug

One of our posters at the Belmont Club treated us to this short bio of his great dad back in June:
---
I buried my father last week in Arlington with the full ceremony.
He started his career in the US Army Horse Cavalry at Ft. Riley,KS in June 1941. Seeing war on the horizon he interservice transferred to the US Marine Corps, first assigned after Pearl as the head of the Marine Detachment on the USS New Mexico.
They bombarded and assaulted from Kiska and Attu to the Gilberts and Okinawa. Returning stateside in '43 for flight training he, then a Major became XO of a squadron of Corsairs in the Pacific. Close air support in an attack squadron.
Boom A-bomb, war over.

Korea, has three different squadrons 225,452,312. Wins 3 DFC's for actions of bravery. Air Medal out the wazoo and ends that action with more carrier landings in an F4U Corsair than any Marine in history, a record unbroken.
He was proud he never lost a plane or missed a hook. Did come back with over 200 holes in his aircraft one time but never got scratched.

1958 El Toro he takes command of the first Marine squadron of A-4 Skyhawks and proceeds to develop nuclear bombing techniques for that craft.
311 wins the Naval Flight Award for best Squadron in the Corps.

(He is also on the Marine Corps Golf team with Lee Trevino..he played par and sub par golf)
Vietnam..CO of MAG-32 Beaufort,SC.
Finagles a trip to fly F-8 Crusaders (MIG Killers) with one of his deployed squadrons VMF-333.
Becomes Chief of Staff to Maj Gen Marion E. Carl
(google, he was the greatest Marine aviator in history).
While waiting for interservice transfer is on the staff of Chesty Puller.
Had it not been for the war he would have taken one of the four pro offers to play professional baseball, as my grandfather had done with the Braves,Reds, and Cubs in the 20's and 30's.
My father was a Marine first. As I said before, he was a man.
I have a picture of my first birthday party being bounced on Pappy Boyington's knee. I got to know many Medal of Honor Marine Aviators, Navy Cross winners and some very brave men.

Semper Fi.

Posted by: Doug | Jul 22, 2006 10:20:09 PM

Posted by: Kevin W.

Linked from The Kevin Show.

Posted by: Kevin W. | Jul 25, 2006 6:14:47 PM